Saturday, March 11, 2006

Canisius Cup

March 1-4, 2006 a dozen or so hard-core table-tennis players from SMC played to win the prestigious Canisius Cup. Competition was fierce, and even though the spectators were kind of sparse (!), everyone had one heck of a time. Coming out on top of the two pools of players were Albert "Baaaa" Darakjy, Will "Destruction Derby" Kimball, Larry "Hosehead" Barrett, and Joe "Canada" Stannus. After the ensuing playoff rounds, somehow it ended up being me (Will) and Joe in the championship game. It was pretty crazy because I had just beat Joe 2 games in a row to get the the championship game, which was not really supposed to happen. Anyway, Joe ended up winning 3 games in a row against me and gained the championship and the Canisius Cup (which actually doesnt exist!). Way to go, Joe!

Here are some photos, courtesy of me, Monnie, and Dave:



Larry getting ready for some ping-pong action!


An awesome picture of Dave Pryor and Gabe Pitassi going head to head.


Check out THAT spin!


The preliminary games in progress.


Will Kimball (me)


Doubles


Having fun


Matt Baer lays it on thick against Albert Darakjy


David Pryor in action


In the small gym


One of the games in the playoff rounds



Here are a few videos of some ping-pong action.

1 Comments:

Blogger MrsDoc said...

Canisius Cup? Is that paper or plastic?
JUST KIDDING!
Those photos are great! Many of us wanted to come see the "table tennis action" but the seating was limited...
Thanks for telling me who won! Joe Stannus only told me the Cup went to Canada, and I wasn't sure what that meant. I have to say, "Yay, team Canada!" although I WAS rooting for the Confederacy in the beginning...
Thanks for the post, Will!

March 13, 2006 12:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home