Thursday, October 27, 2005

Physical Science

The chapter we (about half of the sophomores) are covering in Science right now is on thermal energy. Naturally, we were all happy to have Dr. Strong do a few explosion demonstrations! :D
He put some kind of alcohol or acetone or something (he told us what it was, but I forget the name) in a 5 gallon water jug and then dropped a little piece of burning wood in. The first time it didn't work. (Dr. Strong doesn't look QUITE sure what is about to happen! :P) The second and third times it did. Wow, was the explosion loud!!! It startled everybody, including the photographer. ;) But even though the picture is blurry, I think you can tell what was going on, so I thought I'd post it anyway. :) Dr. Strong then showed us that the same liquid would only burn - and not explode - when ignited in the open... and he wanted us to explain why. :D
...Science is a cool class. :)

4 Comments:

Blogger MrsDoc said...

What do you mean, "He put some kind of alcohol or acetone or something (he told us what it was, but I forget the name)"??????? You're SUPPOSED to be THINKING LIKE SCIENTISTS!!!!!!! You will (probably) later learn that "alcohol or acetone or something" are three very different things and have different significance and consequences!!!!!!!

NO MORE COOKING at home until you straighten up!
I SAW that BURNED towel!!!!

(JUST kidding!)
BA in Biology Mom

October 27, 2005 8:28 PM  
Blogger Monnie said...

It's a good thing I'm not planning on majoring in a science, isn't it?? ;)

I know it was ethanol he used first but then he added something to it.... oh, whatever.... :D

By the way, I can't take ANY credit for the burned towel. Wasn't my doing! :)

October 27, 2005 9:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boy! Sounds like you have fun in that class! I love doing experiments! Great post, Monnie!!

October 27, 2005 10:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can use any number of substances. I know my grandpa's homemade Corn Licker works quite well. If you see Will Watner, just ask him, he knows.

Anthony

October 31, 2005 11:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home